Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Quilled blue hat tutorial

Hello All,

Here comes a tutorial for simple quilled hat :-)


It's almost for beginners.......give it a try! :-) (and I finally got time to add some text!)

I've taken a 10 A4 length strips back to back. You can choose the number depending on how big you want the hat to be.


Make a tight coil like this


Using either a quilling mini mold or your hands, make a dome out of the tight coil.


I've made small teardrop shops using 15 cm long white strips and stuck them so that one flat side was held against the edge of the dome. You can invent your own combination for the flare of the bonnet :)


Next, I filled the spaces between the teardrops with blue tight coils, made out of one A4 length blue strip.


To break the monotony of blue and white, I added two yellow paper roses. The tutorial for making the same is here.


For the outermost circle, I went completely by instinct. I felt this would look good and I added it. It's a white loose coil made of 30 cm white strip. I made a teardrop out of the loose coil and bent it so that it'd stick on to the next one and make a complet sturdy circle. I have used pins to hold it in place.


This is how the complete circle looked after finishing :)


After the glue dries, take the pins off and Hola! Here is the hat/bonnet :)


Yet another look! I love it so much! :)


Doesn't that remind you of Audrey Hepburn in My FairLady? I will never forget the amazing hats she wore in the movie! :-) I am entering this for Inspire me Fridays :-), Anything But a Card and Hats or Flowers,

Happy Quilling :-)

Pritesh

PS: If my posts inspire you to create something on similar lines, I feel highly flattered. But please, do respect the effort I take in conceptualizing and executing, please give a direct link to my work when you are inspired by mine. Thanks for understanding........:-)

28 comments:

Sathya said...

Very nice ....especialli i loved tiny roses...Nice tutorial

Shoma Beramji said...

Hi there,
your Quilling is just lovely...
Shoma

Unknown said...

Wow...awesome!!!Hats of to ur amazing creations....

asmita said...

wow this is so cute. so adorable.Thanx for sharing.

Ela 17 said...

przepięknie zrobione

Pritesh Dagur said...

Thank you Sathya Kala :)
Thanks Shoma :)
Thanks Geethu :)
You're most welcome Asmita :)
And thank you Ela :)

Sujit Kumar Chakrabarti said...

Lovely! But some questions. How do we decide the length of the paper strips? What happens if a strip turns out to be insufficient in length? In general, how do you plan the whole thing?

Pritesh Dagur said...

Length of the paper strips really depends on how big you want the project to be. After some trials, you get an idea of how much paper you will need. If you think the length is insufficient, just paste some more as you are rolling :-)

Regarding planning, quilling really is 70% planning, 30% executing. If you saw my planning note-book, you'd know why :-) Once an idea is in my mind, I need to break it down to segments. I mentally make notes of how it has to be converted to quilling (components like tight coils, loose coils, domes, squares, triangles etc need to be assigned to the final requirement). I then come up with a flow chart. The flow chart is basically a time saving device. If I need too many quilled domes (that need to be filled with glue and allowed to dry), I do them the first. While they dry, I take on other parts of the project, like making tight coils (that take no time for drying) and loose coils (that ake about 20 seconds for drying).

Like any other project, my planning is not perfect and I do encounter problems like size mismatch, spoilt coils, squished domes...........but then, they get put aside in "To use later" boxes and new ones take their place, simple :)

SUSAN said...

what a beautiful hat and thanks to share this sweety tutorial. Good job.

cheers,
susan

Pritesh Dagur said...

Thanks for dropping by Susan and leaving a comment :)

Pritesh Dagur said...

Thanks Baukje :-)

Syaz said...

This is cute..Love the colour combination that you used..

Cristina said...

So Lovely Pritesh!!! I love it! And is so easy to make !!! I like your ideas!

Pritesh Dagur said...

Thank you Syaz!
And Cristina, I had your little blue princess in mind when I made this :-)

Katie said...

I absolutely love this! So creative and in the mini form simply makes me smile :)
Thanks for Cooking It Up With Katie this week.

Carolina said...

Very pretty and adorable little hat. Thank you for cooking it up with Katie this week.

Mihaela said...

Very beautiful hat, great tutorial!!!

Pritesh Dagur said...

Thanks Katie, Carolina and Mihaela :-)

aureliaeugenia said...

Changed your photo with a hat?
The hat is great but I want your smile again and the image of that blue sea(what is it,the North Sea ?
all the best,
aureliaeugenia

Pritesh Dagur said...

Thanks Aurelia! That's the Baltic sea in the background :-)

Anne said...

This is a beautiful project.. thanks for sharing on inspire me fridays..

Priya said...

What a lovely project! so cute and so unique...

ema said...

Lovely project. And looks easy to make it.

Nicolina said...

Wow , it`s a lovely project !Great tutorial .I love this hat .

Pritesh Dagur said...

Thank you all !:)

Chirag Jain said...

nice one....

https://www.facebook.com/XpressiveArt

Mahalakshmi said...

Lovely tutorial...It is very inspiring to see your works..Keep up your creative works and looking forward for more tutorials like this..Thanks for sharing.

Anamika jain said...

Very helpful tutorial for the beginner